What do you think about HPads?
  • XobbaXobba April 2011
    I found that enabling HPAds severely hurt my ebay and amazon sales. The difference between adsense/hpads and hpads alone was not a great issue, it balanced out for the most part.

But, as my traffic fell, (first, from amazon changes , loss of longtails, then from Panda 2) I became more likely to earn better by occasional High Value clicks than I would from a middle ground ePM that HP ads offered.

I think there is a way to write in very high traffic, trendy, entertainment and news topics with a new account that could make Hp ads very profitable. But, Im on the fence on whether I want to invest that type of time into HP right now.
    Testing out the signature line
  • sharishari April 2011
    My amazon sales absolutely disappeared when I had Hpads enabled. And last month for the first time I almost did not make adsense payout. With a week to go in the month I shut down Hpads and was successful in making a respectable adsense payout. My amazon sales was definitely affected Hpads as with adsense on they seem to be reappearing. Silly me turned Hpad back on again at the beginning of this month, the 2 to 5 dollars I may see there are bogus imho. And once again I saw my sales at amazon disappear. Double bogus. I was going to wait to shut Hpad off until I hit the 50 dollars needed for payout ( I am a few bucks away from it) But it pisses me off to high hell to no amazon sales. So for now Hpad is shut off. Chances are I will enable it in the near future just to get the 50 dollars from it.
    I will continue to publish hubs as I am seeing traffic on my new hubs. So for me until I my own sites up and understand more I will still put some time there.
  • I have made the payout amount on HPads but not sure how it is affecting amazon and ebay. I will turn it off at the end of the month and see what happens.
    Lake Erie Artists Gallery--Cleveland Art Gallery
  • tonyleantonylean April 2011
    I will turn off at the end of the month and compare the last couple of weeks against the first couple in May... at the moment the two combined seem a little higher than what I had on just addsense, I am not really an Amazon salesman... However it is difficult to compare now to a few weeks back due to panda, you don't know what has made the difference, panda or HPadds
    Want to retire in the Philippines and relax?? Give me a call.. lol
    Leanman on Hubpages
  • MarisawrightMarisawright April 2011
    Interesting. Before Panda/HPads, I was just beginning to make some headway with Amazon. Now my Amazon sales have almost completely disappeared!

I wasn't one of the first wave of HPads members, and by bad luck my sign-up coincided with Panda so I wasn't sure what had affected what.

I've seen several people say their HPads income roughly equals what they lost on Adsense. Considering my Hub traffic is about half what it used to be, I'd say that's about right - but if HPads is only going to replace my Adsense income, not improve on it, what's the point? I may as well get the whole lot from one source.

Plus, going back to Adsense may help my Amazon sales back to where they were.

I'm going to switch HPads off at the end of April and see what happens.

Marisa

Dance like nobody's watching, write like your mother will never read it.
  • Mutiny92Mutiny92 April 2011
    I don't follow...Why would HPAds affect Amazon. I see where it is a tradeoff with Google Adsense, but not Amazon.

My Amazon has tanked too, but I attributed that during Panda 1 to the loss of US viewers. Panda 2 saw another drop and Amazon dropped again. Please explain the logic on how the new ad program is impacting Amazon.
  • XobbaXobba April 2011
    Before I had logic - I had numbers - I get daily sales from Amazon and eBay, turned on HPAds - 0 sales that day! .. I mean I never get 0 sales ever!, ePn dropped from .12-.40 a click to .01-.03! over the two weeks I had it enabled the first time and this happened again when I re-enabled the following month.

I turned HPAds off , back to daily sales and ePn is back up to +.10 range.

The logic as i see it - the HP Ads are far less targeted than adsense, they are not designed necessarily to be clicked, many are just brand ads.

My viewers were seeing big flashy ads and giant widget boxes and this gave the wrong impression and they tightened up their buying muscles. Alternately, the viewer only leaves once, if the flashy ads WERE desirable they would be lost sales.

In general, the new HP ad layout comes off as more Spammy to me - taking out one little ad block in the content may look good to a bot, but I dont think the revamp did anything for human eyes. I havent checked the stats closely on these metrics, but im assuming my page view durations and bounce rate would be rapidly moving in the wrong directions.

I havent heard any good news from those who were previously successful in amazon and ebay, but I have received a great many unsolicited emails about how badly they were doing!

• XobbaXobba April 2011
    Mutiny92 said: My Amazon has tanked too, but I attributed that during Panda 1 to the loss of US viewers. Panda 2 saw another drop and Amazon dropped again

It is hard to differentiate between:

Loss due to Panda 1.
    Loss due to Panda 2.
    Loss due to change in our ad formats after amazon/ebay rules
    Loss due to HP Ads Visual Competition

My International traffic as far as sales went was never important, i sculpt my demos pretty well. Panda 2 , did almost nothing to me or my clicks/sales

Panda 1 drop occurred pre-HP ads for me
    I put off ebay/amazon edits until the final days (kind of)

It was a pretty clear , like a light switch, change when hpads was on or off

Thats just my experience, I was very specialized and focused in my traffic demographics - basically all my intentional traffic left, and now I get lucky traffic on longtails which isnt necessarily the buyers I would have aimed for.

Mutiny92 said: I don't follow...Why would HPAds affect Amazon. I see where it is a tradeoff with Google Adsense, but not Amazon.

It didn't occur to me that there was a connection either, until I saw this thread. Now I'm wondering, and the only way to know is to test it. So that's what I'm going to do!

Marisa

• Mutiny92Mutiny92 April 2011
    Wow...I will need to ponder that one. My clicks into Amazon from HP dropped by 75%, but I thought it was Panda. Now I am SERIOUSLY thinking that I am wrong. Most of my online income came from Amazon, so it may be worthwhile to sacrifice the HPAds for Google again. I wonder if others are seeing the same results when the HPAds are turned off? Thanks Marisa and SF!
  • Yes, I am going to test it too. I will leave the HPads on until the end of April, then leave them off for May, and see what happens.
  • I decided to turn off the ads for the rest of the month. Obviously today probably won't be good, being Easter and Passover, but I will see how they do the rest of the week.
    lakeerieartists said: I decided to turn off the ads for the rest of the month.

LOL, I couldn't wait either! I turned mine off on Friday and my Adsense has doubled the last two days. It'll be interesting to see what it does after the holidays.
    Marisa

• Yes, Easter wasn't a good test weekend, but there is still a week left of April, and I already had enough for payout from Hubpages. I am interested to see if it will boost not just Adsense, but Amazon and Ebay.
  • RookRook April 2011
    My higher-ranking hubs have been obliterated by Panda. I haven't tried HPads, but with such low traffic, I won't bother.
    Don't surround yourself with yourself; move on back two squares.
  • Well HPads have been off for just a few days, and today I didn't have a lot more Adsense, but I did have a lot more clicks on my Ebay account. Interesting. . .
  • tonyleantonylean April 2011
    My views are climbing on HP, however the HPadds have hardly changed and my adsense is in the toilet, not sure which is the cause, hpadds or mr Panda..... I will turn off hpadds on the last day of the month for 2 weeks and see what the result is..
    Want to retire in the Philippines and relax?? Give me a call.. lol
    Leanman on Hubpages
    I've realized I'm much happier using Adsense, because it gives me insight into which Hubs are still making money - whereas with HPAds, I have no clue. 
    Marisa

• There is no question that I am doing much better on ebay with the HPads off.  My click rate has gone back up to where it was, now I just need more traffic.
  • Mutiny92Mutiny92 May 2011
    Are folks seeing better results with Amazon with HPAds off too?  My Amazon is in the tank 
  • XobbaXobba May 2011
    Ive found all sales improved without HubAds. It's easy enough to test though. Our different markets and design styles makes our comparisons hard to base decisions on. 

They are certainly distractions and when they are not on the same topic as the hub I would think they could drive away traffic, they are probably hard to ignore by new visitors. 
  • ThisIsOliThisIsOli May 2011
    I am still testing out HubAds, the data is fluctuating way to much for me to give a real answer right now.
  • janejane May 2011
    I too turned of hpads, my amazon and adsense have returned, but not back to normal numbers.  I did not reach payout last month on adsense, first time in months.

• I've turned HP Ads back on.  My eBay and Amazon sales were never that good on HP, so for me it's more or less a straight Adsense v. HPAds comparison.  And HP Ads wins.
    Marisa

• I am seeing terminal decline in Hp ad earnings, falling at a far greater rate than traffic. 

$1211 month one
    $927 month two
    $832 month three
    I would be lucky to reach $600 this month.

It paints a grim picture.