With a booming baritone voice and a legend a hundred times as loud, Johnny Cash lived and died, and can’t be replaced. Johnny blazed a trail all the way from being a contemporary of Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, on up to recording songs by folks like Glen Danzig and Trent Reznor’s Nine Inch Nails.
The Man In Black, as he was called, was clearly one of the largest shadows across American music and entertainment in the twentieth century, and beyond. He was a singer, a songwriter, an activist, a wild man, a television host, a movie star, a husband, and a father.
Johnny Cash started bringing out the dark side of life in his music in a time when nobody else could, or would, and get away with it. Yes, there was Hank Williams, but he’d died far too soon, and though Hank’s music also seemed to at times delve into the shadow, those songs are not what he is remembered for. Yes Johnny Cash wrote some fantastic love songs too, and my opinion is that they are some of the finest love songs in the cannon of American music. I’m thinking of tunes such as If I Were A Carpenter, and Flesh And Blood; but the facts seem to be that the songs of angst, desperation, and murder – those are the songs that stand out the most to me. The man told it as it was, and stood up for the common poor while at the same time representing some sort of early prototype for genres such as punk, grunge, and goth.
Black is a power colour, and there was never anything in his time that was more powerful on a stage than was Johnny Cash, and yet his presence on stage transcended any mere arena for live performance. The blackness of human depravity, social injustice, and it’s primal rage amplified via the powerful baritone vocals of Johnny Cash – those things went further, so much further than the ears of a concert goer. They travel still today, and resonate within us all that can and will connect with it. Albert Einstein stated that those who believed in physics knew better than to accept the notion of existence ending at a human’s biological death. I agree, and the angst and power, the rage against an injust societal machine from the voice of Johnny Cash will live on much longer than John’s life, and such emotions will be reborn after Cash is forgotten, but they will still belong, in part, to one John R. Cash in their future permutations.
Well, bugger all of that – Johnny Cash will live on in name and style for generations to come via his Martin signature series D 35 acoustic guitar ,done all in black, and regardless of anything else!
Of course Johnny Cash was primarily always a singer and song writer, but he also strummed the guitar whilst performing, and most often wouldn’t be caught dead without one. He was photographed early on playing a Gibson J 200 pretty frequently, but he settled in with a more definite relationship with America’s oldest, finest, and most respected guitar manufacturer, C.F. Martin & Co.
The Martin guitar company doesn’t do things half assed, they go all out, and are very proud of their name on the instruments they produce. It is always a thing of great pride for every owner of a Martin guitar to own such an instrument.
I want one of these guitars!! I’m one of the biggest Johnny Cash fans on the planet, and one of the biggest Martin Guitar fans on the planet as well! The combination of the two – irresistible!
For Specifications on this fine Martin Signature Series Guitar, then here goes below, but essentially this guitar is a HIGH X Martin dreadnought of the same style as the Martin D 28 Herringbone guitars. The D 35 is typically NOT a Herringbone instrument, but some models are.
The Martin D 35 is ALWAYS a full sized dreadnought with a solid spruce top and rosewood backs and sides, but the D 35 has a three piece rosewood back.
This guitar is the kind of sound cannon that the flatpickers would love, and it also features the dark tonality of rosewood with it’s accented highs and lows, leaving the mid range for vocals. The major upgrade here is the Engleman spruce top! This is German Silver Spruce – often thought of as a step up from Alaskan Sitka spruce, and the equal of increasingly rare American Adirondack Red Spruce.
Three cheers for C.F. Martin & Company – one of America’s oldest still in business corporations, for creating this timeless classic signature guitar in honour of another American classic, Johnny Cash!
Martin D-35 Johnny Cash At-a-Glance:
- Construction: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top: Solid Engelmann Spruce
- Rosette: Style 45
- Top Bracing Pattern: D-Omle Forward Shifted
- Top Braces: Scalloped 1/4”
- Back Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Back Purfling: Hd Zig-Zag
- Side Material: Solid East Indian Rosewood
- Endpiece: Grained Ivoroid
- Endpiece Inlay: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Top Inlay Style: Multiple Black White Boltaron
- Side Inlay: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Back Inlay: Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Square Taper
- Headplate: East Indian Rosewood /Large Old Style Logo
- Heelcap: Grained Ivoroid W/ Multiple Black/White Boltaron
- Fingerboard Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4
- Number of Frets Clear: 14
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 11/16”
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8”
- Fingerboard Position Inlays: Select Abalone Stars Bordered In M.O.P
- Fingerboard Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Finish Back & Sides: Polished Gloss/ Black
- Finish Top: Polished Gloss/ Black
- Finish Neck: Polished Gloss/ Black
- Bridge Material: Solid Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: Standard Belly
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 1/8”
- Saddle: 16” Radius/Compensated/Bone
- Tuning Machines: Grover 102c
- Recommended Strings: Martin Sp 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze
- Bridge & End Pins: Black W/ Abalone Pearl Dots
- Pickguard: Black
- Case: 545e W/ Black Hardware & Interior
- Interior Label: Signed By CFM IV & John Carter Cash
This outstanding instrument is a High X performance D 35 in all black, and with an Engleman Spruce sound board.
|View all items...||(Powered by: WP Amazon Ads)|