Most home workers prefer large windows for their home office, giving their workplace a light, airy feel. The idea of working at home is to avoid the daily grudge to a dark, faceless office, yet a dark and dingy home workspace will make you feel as if you are back in the corporate dungeon.
The problem with having huge windows is that you need to regulate the amount of light coming in to the room. Bright sunlight and computer screens do not mix, and you will find yourself straining your eyes to see. In addition, large windows bring privacy issues, as nobody wants an audience while they work, like a trained monkey.
Why Buy Blinds for Windows?
For these reasons, finding good blinds for windows is essential, and they are a crucial part of the home office equipment. Traditional curtains are too cumbersome and difficult to clean, and shutters are too restrictive, making blinds for windows the only choice.
There are many options when looking to add window blinds to your home office equipment inventory, each carrying its own set of unique advantages and disadvantages. To select the perfect blinds for windows, you need to balance budget, style, durability and practicality, making the choice difficult when you consider the vast range of available options.
Roller Blinds for Windows
Roller blinds for windows are constructed from a vinyl or fabric sheet, wrapped around a roller, which can be rolled up and down to regulate the amount of light entering the room. Roller blinds are available in an array of options, from printed fabric to natural bamboo or sea-grass, adding to the ambience.
The Advantages of Roller Blinds
- Depending upon the finish, they are keenly priced and available in most standard window sizes.
- Roller blinds are the most decorative blinds for windows and, with such a huge array of styles, designs, and textures, you can find one to suit any interior décor.
- Vinyl roller blinds are resistant to staining and very easy to wipe clean.
- Vinyl blinds are very resistant to mildew and mold.
- For those wanting a personalized touch to their home office equipment, blinds can be printed with personal designs, business logos or photos.
The Disadvantages of Roller Window Blinds
- Roller blinds can fade in direct sunlight, and can leave an unsightly line if the roller blind is partially engaged for long periods.
- Especially with cheaper options, the mechanism is prone to failure and, over time, may cause the blind to jam in one position.
- These blinds are not the best option for privacy as, when partially engaged, still allow people to see inside your home office.
Venetian Blinds for Windows
Venetian blinds for windows are the familiar type found in offices around the world, and consist of a number of thin, horizontal slats. The tilt of these slats is adjusted, with a chain mechanism, to regulate the amount of light entering the home office. The standard Venetian blinds are constructed from thin metal or vinyl, although decorative versions use wooden slats.
The Advantages of Venetian Window Blinds
- The construction of Venetian blinds is excellent for regulating the amount of light entering the office.
- The easy-to-use mechanism rarely jams or breaks.
- Metal Venetian blinds are fairly easy to clean, especially with a specially shaped brush.
- The metallic Venetian blinds are very cheap to buy and will hardly impinge upon your home office equipment budget.
The Disadvantages of Venetian Blinds
- Metal Venetian blinds are usually limited in color, to variations of white, grey and beige.
- The metal blinds are ugly and, whilst this is no problem for commercial premises, may be too institutionalized for the home office user.
Vertical Blinds for Windows
Vertical blinds for windows are found in many homes and offices, as a cheap and practical solution. The slats hang vertically and the chain mechanism changes the angle or slides the blinds out of the way completely. Twisting the fabric slats regulates the amount of light entering the room.
The Advantages of Vertical Blinds for Windows
- Vertical blinds are available in a wide range of colors, textures and materials, ensuring that they fit in with your home office décor.
- On dull and overcast days, sliding the blinds aside allows maximum light penetration.
- Vertical window blinds are easy to install and cheap to buy.
The Disadvantages of Vertical Blinds
- The fabric making up the slats is extremely difficult to clean and will discolor with time.
- Even when fully closed, there may be small gaps between the slats, especially if there is a breeze, making privacy into an issue.
Finding Blinds for Windows
Hopefully, this guide will have given you a few tips for finding the perfect blinds for windows, allowing you to enjoy a light, airy working space, all at a price that will hardly touch your home office equipment budget.